What are the available quantities different for the same equipment item in the Add Rental Item screen?
The available quantity that displays in the Equipment Code drop down list is the ‘here and now’ value if the item were to be delivered right now, while the Available field (this is a locked field next to the Qty field) is the minimum quantity available value over the expected rental period.
The threshold is the number of days/weeks that the rate should be used from. In the below example the rate is set up to charge $100 from day 1 to day 5 and $70 from day 5 onwards. The system will always calculate the cheapest rate according to the number of days charged. In the below example where the daily rate is $100 per day and the weekly rate is $70 per day, if the customer is charged for 4 days, the system will calculate a total hire amount of 5 * $70.00 = $350.00 instead of 4 * $100.00 = $400.00. The system then adjusts the day rate on the prebill report and invoice to reflect the cheapest total rental amount, the resulting day rate is $350.00 / 4 = $87.50.
When a piece of equipment is added to a rental contract, the system will take the highest value of the days per week entered on the customer site or the equipment item. Normally, the configuration is that all equipment is configured to 5 days per week unless it is always charged at either 6 or 7 days. Then the customer sites are configured according to the site rules i.e. 5,6 or 7 days per week. This gives you greater flexibility so the same equipment can be hired using different days per week to different customers. It also allows you to charge the same customer different days per week depending on the type of equipment being rented. For example; a customer may hire a piece of machinery & also some fencing. The equipment is charged at only 5 days per week & the fencing would be charged at 7.
The logic for setting days a week on rental contract header is
- If there is customer and site on the rental contract, and there is an entry in the ‘Days/Week’ field on the on-site, this value will be used
- If the contract is for a cash customer, the value entered in the rental counter parameter ‘Default days for cash customer’ will be used
- If neither of the above options are used, then the customer is an account customer. If the rental counter parameter ‘Force charge 7 days for not cash customer’ is enabled, the days per week will default to 7. If this parameter is disabled, then the value entered in the Equipment parameter ‘Default Number Of Days’ will be used
The logic for rental contract detail line.
- When adding a line without an equipment no, the maximum value of ‘Days/Week’ from the rental contract & the ‘Charge Days per Week’ value entered on the Make/Model will be used (if there is model only, the first value for that model that is greater than zero will be used )
- When adding a line with an equipment no, the maximum value of ‘Days/Week’ from the rental contract header & the ‘Charge Days a Week’ from the Equipment Master will be used.